Thursday 20 August 2009

Jane and Hazel

Jane collapsed onto a bean bag. “This place is so retro. I love it.”

Hazel slid back to her not-so-retro 24-inch monitor. “No joy with this morning’s flat then?”

“It was grand, all to myself, the perfect space.” Jane rearranged herself into a more demure position.

“But?”

“Och, the traffic outside. Above a newsagent and next to a pub. Can you imagine? And I just feel... there's a better opportunity round the corner? Like it’s almost too soon to decide?”

“So the search continues.” Hazel shifted her mouse and a fashionably grungy collage filled the screen.

“I was lucky it even started today. The folks managed to get on the first flight out. I should really go for it, no?”

“You would,” Hazel clicked the mouse and a menu sprang down, almost to the depth of the screen. “Be near me.”

“Aye. That should clinch it but...” Jane thought of her parents’ place up in Morningside. She thought of Morningside, full stop. “I’m not sure if the area’s convenient for school, especially with the car playing up.”

Hazel selected one menu option and the display filled with what looked like the console of an interstellar battle cruiser. “I thought you were getting out of that job as soon as.”

Jane decided that Hazel’s wall was a less baffling place to look at but its hanging canvases seemed to mock her. OK, so Hazel hadn’t executed all of them but somehow she attracted artwork and her recent forays into photography had been equally fruitful.

It was less depressing to go back to the trendy website taking shape on the monitor. “I was hoping the Academy – how can you possibly need all that stuff to produce...”

Hazel clicked something else and the screen blanked. She swivelled round. “I've said: you could always stay here.”

“I wouldn’t cramp your style.” Relieved of the competition, Jane enjoyed the sensation of sliding back into the beanbag, even though she was now aware of direct looks from Hazel. “And at least in a noisy place I could rack up the Sex Pistols. It is tempting.”

“That’s fine. Take it.”

“It is too soon. I've hardly started looking.”

“And that's a reason?”

Jane removed her spectacles. The reduction of focus in the real world seemed to sharpen her mind. It didn't help her stomach, which began to knot. “I don't know. I just don't know.”

“Then move in here. For a while even.”

Hazel’s house? Noisy but spacious flat? Keep on looking? Fix the car? Change her job? Get married? Yeah, but who to, ma? Sweet Jesus. Life had been so simple down under.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This site uses Google Analytics and so creates tracking cookies and collects non-identifiable data about you.